Hello,
I currently own a Pioneer VSX-D511 and a 5.1 satellite/sub system that I bought a good 5-7 years ago. It's just a simple HTIB that has served me well until I grew a craving for more clairity and definately more bass. Now that I'm almost done university I'm not as budget llimited as I was back then, I am finally looking at getting a better HT. My main goal for this project is bang-for-buck, which led me directly to Axiom. As it stands now, my setup is as follows:

Mains: M22
Center: VP100
Surrounds: QS8
Sub: SVS PB12-NSD
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V659
Cables: 12 Gauge speaker cable from bluejeanscable.com with their Banana Plugs

The purpose will be mainly for movies, but I will be playing music on it constantly while doing homework. My current room is about 11'x14'x7' (WxLxH), but that is only for the next year or two until I move out after I'm done University.

I'm still not quite set on the sub. I hear the EP350 sounds great for music since it's very fast and more accurate, but lacks the low range punch that I've heard the SVS's are great for. That's why I'm leaning strongly towards the PB12 as it has plently of punch for movies (or so I've heard). The PB12 comes to about $800 CDN with shipping and duties, so the price is almost identical to the EP350. I am also considering the HSU VTF-3 and 2, but the VTF-3 seems like a little too much money for me right now, and I'm guessing that the VTF-2 is a step back from the PB12, probably similar to the PB10.

Now just a week ago, PaulM graciously offered to let me audition his system. It sounded excellent, very clear, defined, and shook my bones when it decided to. The two things in particular that he recommended I listen to were The Eagles: Hotel California (DTS DVD-Video) and the opening train scene from Polar Express. The Eagles was amazing, it sounded like it was real. It's one of those things that's hard to explain with words. I was so impressed with it that I'm currently looking around to try and get my hands on a copy to listen to on my new system when I get it . Now I know what all the reviews were talking about saying that Axioms bring the concert to your home. As for Polar Express, that is exactly the experience I was looking from from a sub. It starts off quiet as the train approaches, then slowly builds until the sound is literally shaking you in your seat. Needless to say, the rest of the system brought the scene to life with crystal clairity and great surround effects. Great stuff. I really appreciate Paul doing that for me.

To tell the truth, I liked his system so much that I've tailored almost my whole system the same as what he has :P. The only difference is that I am considering the PB12 as opposed to his PB10 and I'm looking at a different receiver. The larger sub may not be necessary, but that's why I'd like your opinions.

Is the PB12 going to overpower the rest of the system? If I'm not looking to upgrade for quite some time, is it worth it or strongly suggested to drop the extra cash for a VP150, or is the VP100 still excellent, just not quite enough for really big rooms? Any advice on the Yami receiver, or suggestion for others in the same price range?

Sorry for the long post . I'm just experiencing a 'slight' amount of buyers excitement .
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to ask about Axiom's free High Gloss Cherry upgrade. Does anyone know if that's only available on new speakers, or can I receive the same free upgrade if I wait for Factory outlet ones? I would like the extra 10% off, but not at the expense of losing out on the High Gloss finish. Thanks again.

Last edited by JasonB; 10/05/06 06:32 AM.