Quote:

WOW after reading my own post this new diet I am on right now must be clouding my ability to comprehend. Hutzal, thank you for your reply. I also must have missed you second part about how things would sound with the bass traps in each corner. I hope I didn't come across negative. I had no intentions of that. Am I completely OFF with my thoughts about the different wavelengths? So would the gik traps do the job that I mentioned on a previous post and what about the velodyne sms1. Has anyone used this?

Not a problem man, its all good. I am kinda crazy as well!

Depending on your budget, you can purchase those GIK acoustic traps. For a much cheaper alternative, go here for some instructions and materials you need to build your own Bass traps. Owens Corning 703 will work for bass trapping. You want something at least 4" thick and a frame with no rigid back (completetly open frame on the front and back). You can also check out Randy's (sirquack) superchunks here.

Concerning the transmision of soundwaves to other areas of the house. Think of sound like a rubber ball. When you throw the ball at the wall, it will bounce back at you, but if someone is on ther other side of that wall, the vibration passed through the wall and makes a noises on the other side of the wall. The vibration passed through the drywall, through the studs, and through the drywall on the opposite side.

Sound waves work in a very similar fashion. You won't be getting any sound waves actually PENETRATING your drywall, all they do is hit the wall, and the vibration passed through the drywall, through the studs, and onto any adjoining material (be it drywall for walls, floor boards for floors).

So anything that you put behind your wall will not effect any sound waves boucing around in your room.

Hopefully that will clear up some confusion on sound transmission!

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com