Quote:

Do you do a first coat of very fine mud spraying first? Let that dry 100%, then do a larger nozzel on top of the already first layer? I have read this is a good way of doing it...

NO, I haven't and I doubt I ever will. I like to get things done fast so I can move on to the next step. Same with contractors.

And also, i have read that you can just use regular all purpose mud compound and mix it with water to thin it down to a pancake like mix.

Do you HAVE to use the powder mix with water?

No, the powder is just easier to work with. You'll need a 1/2 drill and a power mixer

I would also have to tape/mud/sand all the joints prior to spraying to create an even surface. So either way I'll be taping! I used the mesh tape in the rest of the theatre room, so I am sure it will work great again.

Good luck. You should do the standard three coat mudding. first coat is a 'bead' coat with a 3" trowel. then you go to the second coat with light weight topping compound and a six inch trowel. then go over it again lightly with a 12" trowel. I don't sand between coats, but just scrape with a trowel. Sanding is an art. Don't sand too much or you will have valleys when painted. Just feather sand. I usually paint a light coat of primer over the joints so I can see my screw ups, then i fix them and spray texture. Then I prime the whole thing with a good primer/sealer.

I've also tried the textured paint Peter mentioned. I didn't like it. It may just be the type I used, but this one had a texture like sand paper.