Hello - it has been awhile since I've been on the forums but I always get great advice here. I am looking for a new receiver to go with a new set of M3s going in a kitchen addition to our house. This will be strictly for stereo listening, though I may add a sub (about 30% likelihood).

I am wondering what people think of the merits of a 2-channel vs. AV receiver on this purchase? I need A/B switching to power a pair of outdoor speakers just outside the kitchen. If I can find a multi-zone receiver, this will be helpful, b/c I am going for a whole house audio setup with Sonos. If the receiver has multizone, it can connect to my existing living room stereo amp, saving me the cost of buying an additional Sonos ZP80 transport in there (there will already be a second ZP80 in the rec/HT room where my main stereo is). Most of the music playing on the receiver will come from our digital music collection via a Sonos ZP80 in the new kitchen. The ZP80 is their transport without an amp. The ZP80 can output analog using its own DACs or digital relying on the receiver's DACs. From what I hear of the ZP80 DACs, using the receiver DACs is the better way to go.

I am looking at HK 3480 and the Onkyo and Denon comparable 2-channel receivers. They look great on paper and in the reviews, but two things concern me: 1) Do they have digital inputs? If not, I'll have to rely on the DAC on the Sonos. 2) Can you get any kind of bass management on a 2-channel receiver? 3) Will the multizone thing work via the receiver, or should I suck it up for another ZP80 ($349)? My wife might rebel at that notion.

Given the concerns, I wonder if I ought to just get a 2-channel or instead an AV receiver from HK, Onkyo, or Denon for the digital inputs and, down the road, bass mgt options. Not sure how the multizone thing will play out.

Appreciate any thoughts on these many issues.

austinbirdman

"These go to eleven."