Quote:

It's not HD-DVD that's giving the better picture. Both formats use the same video codecs for their disks. What's better is the TRANSFERS, that has nothing to do with the medium itself, but rather the studio that does the transfers. Robert Heron (noted HD guru over at PCMagazine) likes HD-DVD better because the TRANSFERS are of better quality then the blu-ray ones.

So, ok, then the HD-DVD TRANSFERS are proving to be providing better picture quality than the Blu-Ray TRANSFERS. So if that is the case, then isn't the image quality of the HD-DVD still superior if the transfer is superior?

I think that we are really getting at the same thing. There is more "capability" with Blu-Ray with its larger capacity (which is always advertised, IE: PS3 ads, as being why it is so great) but the transfers look more "compressed" showing more artifacts, and less sharp of an image (and some color tone issues), but HD-DVD still looks better at this point. (Thanks to the better transfers.)

Either way, they should look pretty "kick butt" compared to regular DVD. I wish I could borrow either one for a day.

Farewell - June 4, 2020