Arguably, the best-in-breed devices in this category are the Slimdevices Squeezebox & Transporter, and the Sonos digital sound system. The Squeezebox is about $300, the Sonos starts around $1000, and the Transporter around $2000. Despite its (relatively) low price, I can personally say that the Squeezebox is an exceptional product. If you're an IT type person, you'll absolutely love it as it is driven off of its own open-source, highly configurable web server software (which you can download free from slimdevices.com, and don't even need a squeezebox to use). I have three squeezeboxes in my house, plus, you can access your music via any web connected PC through a virtual squeezebox (softsqueeze). Sound quality for the squeezebox is generally considered near audiophile and better than most CD players. The Transporter is its newer sibling and offers true audiophile sound and a few more bells-and-whistles. A significant advantage of the squeezebox/transporter is that they both have excellent integrated displays, something sorely missing from many other wireless music players. I don't know much about Sonos except that it offers a more turnkey solution and a very cool remote control.

Last edited by gildahl; 12/28/06 06:27 PM.