Quote:

Over the years, Alan has described tube gear as "distortion generators" and now tells us that hiss is part and parcel of tube gear as well. I personally consider his comments to be not only incorrect, but ignorant and insulting. Alan is not just another participant on these forums. Alan Lofft speaks for Axiom. Now, I don't know why Axiom would want its spokesperson to alienate folks who love their Axioms and their tube gear as well, but I think Alan has succeeded in that regard.

I can understand your believing Alan's comments incorrect. I can even understand your believing his comments ignorant (though I can't understand your saying so on a public forum, and it is your doing so that prompts my response). However, I'm at a loss as to why you would consider his opinions "insulting." Are you honestly saying that any opinion which doesn't agree with yours is insulting and will cause you to be alienated? If so, I suggest you avoid participating on most internet forums.

We are all free to accept or reject Alan's opinions. There are those of us who, though we don't agree with him on everything, feel his knowledge and experience is considerably more vast than ours, and choose to, at the very least, listen to him and give him the respect which his experience has earned. No one here minds if you disagree with Alan and what he has to say. No one here minds if you post an opposing opinion. Someone recently (I unsuccessfully searched for the post), disagreed with Alan, said so, and posted his opposing opinion. No problem.

Again, I'm truly sorry you find this place so unpleasant. there are things about this forum that don't please me as well. Tough tomatoes. I have the option of participating here or not. I participate at the av123 forum where there is a greater number of those who believe in the more exotic adjuncts of our hobby. I often disagree with them, but I'm never insulted or alienated by their differing opinions, and I never insult them personally by referring to those comments as "ignorant." And, the last thing I'm going to do is crap on their enjoyment (apologies to all for the scatological reference. I felt it descriptively apt, under the circumstances.)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton