Quote:

Thanks man, appreciate the information. By the way, how big is the room Michael? With the relatively high efficiency of the Axiom speakers, 95dB 1w 1m, I most likely would never use all the power of these amps. I also know there are skeptics that there is no difference in sound upto a point, but all this talk about "headroom" and "better" sound at all volume levels has me curious.

My room is approximately 13 wide x 18 long. Ceiling height is 10 ft at the highest point, then drops down to 8 ft on both sides. About 2100 cubic feet. Plus I sit on the long wall...so I'm about 8 feet from the speakers.

I get the feeling that I wouldn't use the capability of the mps-1 in my room either. Even though my speakers are less effecient, I don't have a large room. My best guess is that I (and you) would be fine with 125w per channel. I wish there was an easy way to determine how much amp power is needed for a given room(size) and speakers.

I hate to say it, but for you, the only way to know if there is an improvement in sound is to try one out for 30 days. I know that is a standard answer around here...but it's true. Order an Outlaw or an Emotiva amp, and put it through its paces. Call and ask how much the return shipping on the Emotiva would be from Iowa to Tennessee in case you don't like it. Do the same for Outlaw.

To me, having the bpa-1's for a short term, I already know there is an improved sound. I was able to turn the volume up to ridiculous levels(95db) without any harsness or strain. The amp remains smooth and clean. My hk would top out about 80 to 85 decibels before starting to break up. There was definitely a fullness of sound that I'm not getting with the HK alone. It is worth it to me. Now to decide on either the LPA-1 or IPS-1...

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP