Quote:

As long as you have a HDMI 1.1/1.2 receiver that correctly handles multichannel PCM, you should be okay for a while.

Actually, they were saying you would be more than ok. From the thread I read there were a few people that kept saying they were holding out for 1.3. The response basically was "don't bother, 1.3 gives you nothing."

The reasoning was as follows. 1.3 mainly gives you 2 things. 1) Deep Color and 2) Uncompressed HD audio pass through.

So the next obvious question is why would I want/care about those items. I would be interested in deep color IF there was content that supported this. Unfortunately that won't be the case for a LONG time. Why? DVD doesn't support it, Blue Ray and HD DVD don't support it. They haven't worked out the dominance of either Blue Ray or HD DVD yet so there isn't likely to be another format for some time. HDTV doesn't support it and it's unlikely that OTA, Cable or Satellite will support it anytime soon.

Should I care about the audio pass through? The answer there was also no. The reason being that any titles that support "extended features" MUST be decoded by the player. They claim that very few (if any) titles will not contain "extended features" and therefore can't be decoded by the receiver.

If all this happens to be true (1 certainly is - I haven't done my own research on item 2 but no one seemed to disagree with those assertions), then HDMI 1.3 is mostly just marketing hype and has no relevence for at least the next 3 - 5 years.

Edit: Actually there is a source that will support deep color. PC and games. You still won't see any Movies etc with deep color. If you expect to want deep color from games over the next few years, then you might benefit from 1.3.

Here is a link to the thread discussing this.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=783574&page=5&pp=30

In particular look at the post by Bob Pariseau he pretty much sums it all up.

Last edited by packetlosss; 01/11/07 03:20 PM.