Quote:

Seems like positioning and amplification are the variables. I've never really subscribed to the "some sand sounds special" theory, but is it *possible* that the HK sounds different than the Marantz?

Shhhh, Tom, don't utter such words!

Actually, Ken said something remarkably similar last night, and I think Peter and I are of similar opinions. The character of the M3 and M50 were quite noticeably different than the M80s.

I pretty much agree with Ken's run down of M80>M3>M50. I came away obviously in envy of the M80s for their complete package, but also quite happy with how well the M3 held up in comparison (albeit not admittedly a fair one, seeing as the M80 is 3x the height, 2x the depth and has 3x the drivers). One thing the M80s do extremely well is keep composure when things get a little hairy. Those doubled drivers really do ensure that one area really isn't working harder than it needs to. Listening to Metallica's S&M, the strings were always lush and full no matter how much overdriven guitar, bass & drums was layed on top of it. Lines were distinct, and nothing got lost in the mix. The M3s on the other hand, sounded wonderfully precise and clear when things were relatively orderly, but definitely started to sound a bit compressed (in comparison to the M80s) once the layers and SPL started building up.

The one thing I definitely didn't expect to hear was how much better the M3s handled bass in comparison to the M50s. Even though the M50s went lower, the bass felt a bit disconnected and muted from the rest of the spectrum, whereas the M3s really had a satisfying thump to the drums and bass, and sounded much more cohesive.

But really, hands down, the M80 is an amazing speaker. I wish I had brought a couple classical CDs (particularly Harnoncourts recording of Beethoven's 7th symphony (2nd movement), and the Telarc recording with the orchestral versions of Satie's Gymnopedies, Faure's Pavane for A Dead Princess, and Barber's Adagio for Strings) so I could see how it handled the intricacies of a well recorded orchestra. Its ability to render all the different layers clearly was really impressive. Though I actually wish it was maybe a little bit more forward. Though if you would've asked me what I thought after listening to Dennis's M80s in his marble-floored room, I would've said "What?? I can't hear a thing you're saying!"