I know how you felt, I've been there before (listening to a friend's great stereo system). Of course it takes years of research, trials and lots of dollars to achieve that. Here is a couple of first steps you may want to consider, based on my own experience:

1 - Room acoustics and placement. The cheapest method, play with moving your speakers, sub around before considering cheap acoustic treatments to your room (starting with rags)

2 - Switch to separates, I see you have a receiver (pardon me if mistaken). It does make a difference for 2 channel stereo. It did for me. I am talking about didicated 2 channel power amp and pre-amp. There are many people who would question this advise, but who cares, listen for yourself and decide. Do a search on this forum on this topic (separates vs. receiver) and you'll probably find many thoughts.

I won't go any further, as I think I am not that qualified. Hopefully somebody else will jump in. One thing is for sure, this is an expensive hobby!

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3