Originally THX was the name of one of the first short films that George Lucas made in the early 70's.

Having a component being THX certified only means the audio company has paid to have the unit certified by THX.

My $1500 Rotel pre amp / processor is not THX certified, neither is my Rotel power amp, however I would hope they sound every bit as good at a $500 receiver (hopefully better). You will notice that none of Axiom's speakers are THX certified. This doesn't mean they couldn't be, (I bet the EP500 and 600 would pass with flying colours not to mention the M80 and Qs8) it just means Axiom has made a busness decision not to certifiy any of their speakers.

Lets look at a company like Bryston, none of their current power amplifiers are THX certified. Does this mean that the $500 Poineer THX receiver is better then the $4000 Bryston power amplifer. I hope not. Bryston just doesn't see a need to pay for the certification.

If you really look around you will notice its mostly the hight volume commercial companies will get the THX sticker on their face plates. Companies like Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Sony. These companies all make fine gear and it's not a slam against them. But they are in busness to make money. They may only certify their top end piece as a marketing ploy. Who know's, maybe most of the components in their line up would pass THX certification. But by only certifing the top component, it is viewed as a huge up grade to the consumer.

Remember, companies have to pay for the certification, and they choose wich products to get certified regardless if others would pass or not.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990