I've been running my computer through my old H/K AVR25 ProLogic receiver for a while now. Sounds pretty good, but for a couple of caveats: 1)The sound is kinda thin and I get some noise from the various components in the case on occasion. Another thing: Though the M3s are really great near-field speakers and even can thump a little, they do have that mechanical roll-off at 60Hz. I like some thunder when playing Battlefield2 and when watching movies on the PC when the wife Bogarts the HT to watch Desperate Housewives and such. So I spent a reasonably small amount of cash on a couple of additions.

First, I picked up an Onix (AV123) X-Series sub. $242 delivered. They really to a nice job of packing their (built in China) sub. It was in a "box-in-a-box" package with foam risers separating them. The sub itself was in a nice cotton "sock." The sub looks great and is real solid. Just had to tighten the screws on the base plate. It has the usual features you would find on any sub as far as I/O, C/O, and phasing so I won't go into that. One thing I did not like is the speaker connectors. I had to use them because my old H/K doesn't have a Sub/LFE out. The connectors are pretty cheap and "plastic-y" and are WAY too close together. I had trouble getting the speaker wires connected to the high-level ins and outs.

So, after getting connected I set the crossover to 60Hz and let 'er rip. WOW! I didn't even have to adjust the volume! Nice, tight, goes pretty low. Sounds great! Gives those M3s just that extra OOMPH they need on occasion. Love it.

To solve the issues with case noise and "thin-ness" I picked up a Silverstone EB01 USB DAC for $93 with 2-to-3 day shipping from Newegg. Nice little brushed aluminum case turned out to be an uncanny Mini-Me analogue of my computer case! Same brushed Al, same blue panel lights, same curved front bezel! Very strange yet very cool! I wonder if Silverstone and Coolermaster are somehow affiliated.

So, I had a pair of good RCAs in the drawer so I hooked those to the H/K (FYI this is a week after the sub arrived) and hooked the USB cable to the PC and it autodetected the unit as "USB Speakers" and that was it. Well, there's not a whole lot to say. The "noise floor" is now down to 0 and the sound is clean and full. Just what I wanted.

All and all it's money well spent in my opinion. I spend quite a bit of time in my office and I really wanted to hear my music a bit cleaner and with a bit more chutzpah and I got exaclty what I paid for.

LJ

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti