Thanks for the info. I have been focused on a name brand. There are a couple out there I haven't heard of, so I am staying away unless I hear some really good things about them. I used to keep up with this stuff, but I guess because the need to upgrade computers is less then it used to be with the faster processors and everything else that's around now, I just don't seem to need to pay as much attention anymore, so I'm starting fresh when I do want to get something.

I did look at SATA briefly, but I don't have an external SATA connector in my machine now. I also considered getting a network attached drive as well (won't call it a NAS, since most of them don't seem to be that truly). With that option it could sit anywhere and still serve data to the HTPC someday. Speed could be a concern there as well though. RAID1 is a consideration as well, but I'll probably stay away from that to keep the price down. I want to get something soon. My drive makes strange noises and locks the computer for a couple seconds every once in a while, so I want to get a backup.

I also checked and saw the computer show is in town this weekend, so if I can do my research and narrow down what I want I might head over there to pick it up. Haven't been to one in years.