Quote:

Don't worry, you didn't say anything wrong and your post was very informative.

I think the comment was related to the sheer number of issues that you said needed to be considered -- sounded very much like someone who had "just been there", had learned a *lot* in the process, and was still a bit bruised

mdrew, i have to agree with bridgman. Your post is informative of the dark side of the projector world in a moderate manner. I very much enjoy reading the negative aspects of personal reviews as long as they remain objective rather than degrade to simple insults of a product or company.

Many things that have been posted in this thread also apply to our media room. Originally i designed it for a projection system at one end of the room. Before the room was really complete, we realized that seating might work better in a 90 degree shifted arrangement so we had the room wired in 2 directions for 7.1 sound. However, i ran only one access tube in the original orientation for projector wires. They would come down from the ceiling in behind a screen and then connect immediately to the left or right hand side where we would locate the equipment.
After the room was complete, we felt that the 'second' orientation layout was better for viewing and are still using the Toshiba 52" RPTV (1080i capable which has been great) instead of a projector. I've been mulling over the idea much like Peter has and i have come to similar conclusions.
  • I like the idea of the projector and the big screen it can produce.
  • I would want a very sharp screen so the projector brand would likely cost 3-5k. Much research required.
  • No home made screens here so add to the cost probably about 1k.
  • Add the cost of running the long cables, however the ceiling plug was put up in advance planning.
  • Concerns about fan noise due to the close location to seating. Much research needed.
  • Seating distance only 11' in one direction, about 12' in the other. Again, considerations for the projector style and how big a screen is needed at such a distance (calculators say no more than about 80" if i recall).
  • We watch regular tv, sometimes HD, in this room so we need to consider bulb life, or the option of having both a tv and projector (really not feasible unless you have a larger room and the $ to have both).
  • Prices of large size HD tvs (plasma, lcd and new formats coming out) are dropping like mad, especially lcd.
  • Ease of installation and use vs. a plop down tv.

At this point, i think we have decided against buying a projector simply to get a screen of 80-85" max in our media room. I think we are now leaning towards a 70"-80" hdtv, just not anytime soon. Maybe in a few years at best and once more HD programming comes to our area.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."