So I picked up a Philips MANT940 antenna tonight from Walmart. It is an indoor/outdoor antenna. I hooked it up to the Voom receiver I got from oldskoolboarder. It was in pretty good shape, a bit dirty, but most importantly it was going to get me HDTV!!!

Anyway, I thought that I would test it out on a regular TV on the main floor of our house. Within minutes, I was pulling in 9 stations (not all HD mind you). Some were a bit weak at a signal strength of 72, but several were at 93. I knew that I had a shot. I put some ends on one of my coax runs that went to my equipment rack (hadn't had a need until now to finish it), and then decided to pu the antenna indoors, but upstairs this time. I put the antenna in my oldest daughter's room as a test. Propped it up in the general direction it needed to be in with some small decorative pillows she had, and then ran down to the basement to hook up the receiver. I

Plugged it all in, and within minutes, I was pulling in 11 stations, and the weakest was 92, the strongest was giving me a 99 on signal strength. Hmmm. I can't leave it in my daugter's room for ever, but man, it is working!

Anyway, I was watching various shows, had my wife check it out for a few minutes, and then was glued to the, hate to say it, PBS station. They were running some Discovery Channel like show, that really wasn't very interesting, but fun to watch. I sat there for a good 30 minutes watching something that I don't really care about.

Then I remembered that it was garbage night, and I had stuff laying all over the house (packing peanuts that were in the box that the Voom receiver came in, various A/V cables all around, etc, etc). I decided to head up stairs and get my work done. That was 10 minutes ago. Now I am typing here.

Well, I gotta run. I am going to see what Letterman and Leno look like in HD at 104"!!!

Woohoo!!!!

Farewell - June 4, 2020