INANE has been helping to answer a LOT of my HTPC questions, but I have a few that center around the use of a HTPC (Or really, Windows Media Center Edition) and a XBox 360 as a Media Center Extender.

Basically, I am trying to find out if I get a HTPC, but (trying to add value to this proposed project since my wife uses our home PC a lot) replace our home PC (which is pretty kick butt, but not enough for what I want in a HTPC), and then use the XBox 360 actually in the home theater room for MP3, DVD, and TV. I know that it can be done, that isn't the question.

My question is if I record HDTV on the HTPC, will the XBox 360 play it back on my projector at 720p or 1080i, or does it just send it to the XBox as 480p or something?

I want HDTV in my home theater, so that is one of the big reasons to build a HTPC, but I think that if I could house the HTPC somewhere else in the house where it will get more use, I will have a better time "selling it" to my wife.

Thanks to oldskoolboarder, I've already got my wife liking HDTV on the projector, but the first question she asked me after watching one of "her" shows for 5 minutes was, "Can I record this?" So she is slowly being convinced.

I know that there are a lot of potential issues with a HTPC being used for "regular" things, such as the drives filling up with garbage programs and such, but I will work through that thought path on my own.

So, does anyone know if I can stream video to a XBox 360 and play it back in HD?

Farewell - June 4, 2020