[Edited] I would think the M3 bass peak is at too low a frequency to affect most vocals. It's around the 100-150 Hz range and not all that big.

If you only notice this with the deepest male vocals then M3 response is a possibility. If it's in the upper vocal frequencies then boundary effects or even comb filtering between the two M3s seem more likely.

First thing to try is to disconnect one of the M3s (you might need to adjust the center channel level) -- if that makes a difference, then comb filtering is your culprit. Since your M3s are vertically separated it would actually be vertical angle that affects the response, but I find it's pretty hard to move a few feet off axis without moving vertically a bit at the same time.

Just don't move around to get a handle on comb filtering effects with anyone in the room or you'll end up getting rude comments about the big solo dance scene in Napoleon Dynamite.

I forget what receiver you have, but cranking the crossover frequency way up (many go to 200 Hz) is an easy way to eliminate the bass peak as a culprit. You'll get a bass hole instead (the sub probably rolls off around 100) but different is good, right ?

Are the M3s definitely "in front of" the TV, not behind the TV or a shelf even 1/2 inch ?

I'm guessing this is what you call v2 of the home theater -- downstairs, but still TV not projector ?

Last edited by bridgman; 03/19/07 10:02 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8