Bob,

I have researched plasma TVs to death. Where the research always takes me is Panasonic or Pioneer. Best PQ, color, blacks and dependability. With either, you don't make a mistake.

When we moved to this house 6/04, I put a commercial (more later) 42" Panny above the fireplace. Wonderful.

I finished my basement and wanted a 58" Panny or 60" Pioneer. Settled on the Panny 58600U (has PC connectability). I was disappointed to have to get the consumer model (no commercial available in this size), but the thing is fabulous. Here are a couple of pics:

Anyhow, with the consumer model, you get a stand, a tuner and speakers (and you pay for all of that). With the commercial model, you don't get any of those things, but you need to buy a stand or wall mount. Panny's commercial (same excellent electronics & PQ as the consumer) models also have a black bezel, which has a cleaner look.

I would give you a big nudge to look at the TH-50PH9UK Visual Apex ($1713 and includes a 5 yr. warranty), Newegg (1799, but shipping is only $100) or Cleveland Plasma (1650). All of these folks are excellent etailers who get high marks on customer service and dependability. I got my 2 Pannys from Newegg and Cleveland.

Hope it helps.

Ray