I've been down this road before, it is lots of fun.
i typically use open source solutions

I ran the Ampache Streaming software and could play the music at any computer.

I also had a couple rio/dell audio receivers to stream the content straight to AVR's. I think the squeezebox would be better, because I think it has a digital output.

the ampache/rio setup utilized linux, so it isnt the best solution for everyone.

I agree with the posts that advise to rip in a high quality. I am now using flac, but not all devices support flac. i can really hear the limitations of my previously ripped 128kb mp3 on my axioms. that wasnt the case when i was just using computer speakers.

I would recommend having a backup strategy in place. I have had several drive failures, probably because i run the drives 24/7 and have 5 drives in a case, which generates excessive heat. I have my collection backed up onto cd-r, which in itself is a pain to restore. i was just over at another forum where a guy is boohooing cause he lost all the tracks he had ripped. dont think if it will happen, think when it will happen.

If i was going to set something up again, I would shoot for audio and video streaming.

I currently have a networked (wired) computer at the location of my tv/receiver/axioms. i use the digital output from the computer to the denon. works well for me, although I am only using it in one place

hth

have fun

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4