Quote:

Steve - hard to believe that nobody has mentioned the MX-850, MX-900 or MX-950,...

Ray

Well, I'd have mentioned them, but Steve's reaction to the initial Harmony suggestion was "Those things are pricey." So, I figured he wouldn't be interested in the MX series. However, I was forgetting the MX-700 which can be had for $170 at Surf Remote Control In fact, they have an Open Box MX-700 for $135 . There is no need to be concerned about the "open box" classification. All that means is they took it out of the box to show a customer. I have an "open box" MX-700 and it arrived in pristine condition.

I owned a Harmony remote, and much prefer the versatility of the MX series. YMMV. The MX comes with computer software, and you can program the entire thing on your computer without having to go online. You can make your program as simple or as complicated as you wish. If you are interested, here is a .pdf version of the manual which will give you an idea of what the remote can do.

I also own the MX-850 which is a newer model that adds RF capability and is considerably more expensive. However, you will notice a link on the 850s page which says "Can I get a lower price"? If you click on that link you get instructions on how to inquire about available discounts. Should you buy any remote from Surf Remote Control, you should inquire about a discount on the model in which you are interested.

I do not use the "flashers." If there is a direct line of sight between the remote and your equipment the flashers are not necessary. However, if your equipment is hidden out of sight in a closet or cabinet, simply placing the RF Base Station in the closet or cabinet will often work fine. The IR signal bounces all over surfaces of the enclosed space and will often activate the equipment without using the flashers. Sometimes the flashers are necessary.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton