Ok... just got my Axiom Epic 60/500, and finally (after a week) had the time to run some wiring and start hooking up more than just the front L/R. Ran the sub cable through the floor last night, and got to use that for the first time. So at this point, I've only used 2 channels and the sub. (My center channel stand is here today... and I ran wiring for the surrounds as well... so tonight is the big night where I FINALLY get to try out my new toys in 5.1.)

Question: I am running M60s and the EP500. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV receiver. (And this is probably a receiver specific problem, unfortunately.) When I set the front L/R speakers to small, the sub plays, but bass output from the M60s is reduced (like it is supposed to be, I guess...). When I set the front L/R speakers to large, the sub cuts out entirely, no matter where I set the receiver's crossover. (I have the EP500 crossover off.)

I specifically wanted the M60s (rather than the M22s) because my sub is in the back corner, and (I suspect) will probably be localizable, no matter how well I calibrate, due to a kinda crappy room setup. I had hoped significant bass from the fronts would help counteract this. (I haven't yet done any proper calibration.)

Regardless of whether the sub ultimately is localizable or not, does anyone know if the Pioneer Elite receivers (or all receivers, for that matter) will automatically disengage a sub if the front speakers are set to large? To me, that seems silly. I would think I should be able to still use a sub even if the fronts are full range speakers, whether I'm using them for 2 channel stereo (which is all I was trying last night), TV watching, or 5.1.

I am aware that THX recommends everything be set to small when a sub is used. Nonetheless, I bought full range M60s with the intent on using them as full range to provide bass from the front soundstage. (Obviously if it is counter-productive I wouldn't INSIST on having the mains set to large... but I wanted the option.) Anyway, I'm just a bit frustrated that it seems the receiver won't let me have my cake and eat it too. I want bass from my M60s AND my sub, not one or the other.

Anyone with a Pioneer Elite experienced this issue? Am I just not understanding the receiver correctly? Does it sound like this is an absurd feature that there MUST be a way around?

Any people with other receivers know whether all receivers behave like this?

Anyone generally smart have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.