ihifi,

I understand your statement about HDMI on the Sherwood reciever but here is the reason Sherwood has taken that particular stand.

From the Sherwood Newcastle website:

Quote:

Sherwood adds HDMI to Newcastle and Sherwood lines

Sherwood America has introduced the HDMI-Link™, an advanced audio/video switcher and video format converter designed to integrate the video output from an advanced A/V receiver with the A/V output of two HDMI capable digital A/V source units into an HDMI capable video monitor or TV.

According to Jeffrey Hipps, Sherwood’s Sr. VP for Marketing and Product Planning, consumers have been clamoring for an easy way to intermix different generations of audio/video source units such as VCR’s, satellite receivers, cable boxes and HDTV tuners in a simple-to-use system that still maintained the highest possible level of performance. “When we analyzed the situation,” said Hipps, “it was clear that the best performance required that we establish and maintain an HDMI signal path.”

However, instead of building HDMI capability into their advanced A/V receivers, Sherwood designed a free-standing unit. When asked why, Hipps responded, “HDMI is a moving target. With the HDMI 1.3 standard probably 2 years away, any of today’s HDMI devices risk obsolescence. Rather than have a $4,000 audio receiver be viewed as obsolete because it can’t support HDMI 1.3, we’d prefer to offer a low cost option. Our HDMI-Link™ is only $299.95.”

While Sherwood’s HDMI-Link does provide remote (or RS-232) switching for 2 HDMI source units, what really makes it useful is its ability to convert any component video input into an HDCP compliant HDMI output. According to Hipps, “We already have two generations of receivers from Sherwood and other manufacturers that convert composite video and S-Video inputs into a component video output. Simply adding our HDMI-Link™ to the output chain will complete the conversion of those legacy video formats to HDMI.”

As Sherwood markets two separate brands in the US: Sherwood Newcastle which is designed for the custom installer and Sherwood Home Audio for the cost conscious do-it-yourself audio fan, there are actually two separate HDMI-Link components. The Sherwood Newcastle HSB-600 is available in Newcastle’s titanium finish while the Sherwood HSB-6501 is available in black. Both models have an SRP of $299.95 and both will be available in May, 2006.

I own one of the same receivers that BobG is getting but purchased it a while back before Axiom started offering them...

I have my cable box output via HDMI to DVI to my 36" Sony XBR HDTV. I only have the one component that outputs via HDMI. Looks great!

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."