I finally have a little time for a quick update. The Mitsubishi 42" widescreen HDTV was delivered last Thursday and the hi-def cable box was set up last Friday. I spent the day Thursday calibrating the Denon DVD-2900 and DVD input of the Mitsubishi. I dropped the contrast and brightness on the TV immediately, did a quick convergence and then used Avia to calibrate. I've also done a 64-point convergence and re-calibrated since then (thanks again Mike!). I am VERY impressed with everything. The progressive scan DVD image using the Blue Jeans component cables is incredible. I'm seeing deatils in movies that I've never noticed before. As great as the DVD images are, hi-def images are even better. The images on Discovery HD are incredible! SACD through the Denon is a least as good as the Sony 222ES I was using, but redbook CD performance is noticably better to me. This is also my first DVD-Audio player, so I'm finally hearing the hi-res layer on the discs I own and can tell the improvement over the DD or DTS that I was listening to before. Before anyone asks why I bought a 42" instead of a larger RPTV or projector, it was because:

1. My fiance wanted to keep the gorgeous entertainment center that she had built and I want to keep her
2. I can't control light in the great room.
3. We only sit 6-7 feet away. Anything bigger would have been like sitting in the front at a movie theater.

I'll add some more comments later. I'm still learning how to use the digital camera and take decent pictures, but here are a few for now:

The old setup with 32" TV.

The entertainment center doors closed on old setup.

I removed the TV stand and doors from the entertainment center to accomodate the TV. You can see the Axiom M60ti fronts and VP150 center with the Mitsubishi in the new setup.

I'll be adding acoustic sound dampening material to the center channel box and building a false front that will be covered with speaker grill cloth. It will cover all but the Mitsubishi screen.

Here's the Axiom QS8 left surround

Here's the Axiom QS8 right surround

The SVS 20-39PCi is in the corner behind the silk tree!

The Pioneer Laserdisc Player, Onkyo TX-DS696 Receiver and Denon DVD-2900 with hi-def cable box
Components.

The DVD Racks.

Here is where the DVD goes while we're watching a movie.

Since the racks were getting full, I moved the animation DVDs (below is the 400 disc CD changer.)

We have some Indiana Jones decorations (hat, whip and framed laser discs) with a movie clapboard on top of the right side of the entertainment center.

We have some instruments (saxaphone, flute, violin and trumpet) on the top left of the entertainment center.

Here are a couple of screen images from the sweet spot of the Superbit version of Legends Of The Fall:

Pic 1
Pic 2

David