Quote:

You guys haven't heard a crappy AVR trying to run a pair of M80's at full cry. "Ohhh, those two sound the same to me"...I don't get it.

I suppose now we are going to hear" they have to be of the same type/quality"...

We're talking here about sound quality of amplifiers at reasonable levels, not how loud a cheap AVR can drive a difficult load before it clips compared to a 'boutique' amp. Not the point.

You buy a more powerful amp if you want to drive inefficient speakers to louder levels cleanly. That makes sense to me. To say that one could tell the difference between two very different amps at lower levels with average efficiency 8-ohm speakers, well sorry, but that does not.

If you can blind test similar speakers and pick out the one you prefer, which I sure most would agree is easily and often done, why is it that (in my experience) there is no documentation that shows the same for amps?

Anyway... all I know is I love the sound of my system as is, and that hopefully I haven't upset anyone with my opinion. Don't get me wrong...I love the idea of 2 beautiful Macintosh monos sitting in my living room, but I know in the end the only 'real' difference would be 2 gorgeous brand name boxes, the perceived 'prestige' in being able to say you own them, and a (much) lighter wallet.
Just my opinion!

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED