Quote:

Curious what you guys think of the new 4 door Jeep.

I've seen it a few times, looks pretty nice. I've even seen a nice one w/ a lift and mudders, I like it.

I spoke to the guys at the Jeep shop that did my lift. They complained that most of their old custom hardware won't work on these new rigs. Even though it looks the same, it's completely different. Hence a whole new cycle of creating custom gear.

For my FJ, the nice thing is that it's based on the Land Cruiser Prado which is sold in other parts of the world, so those parts would even work on an FJ.

While I, personally, have more fun with a short wheel base vehicle on the trail, I have to admit the extra space of the new 4 doors and the stretched Unlimited actually make much more sense considering mine is still 80% a daily driver.

Reviews are posative about the new motor replacing the trusty old 4.0L once you get through it's computer automated break in period. I'm not sure I would like some of the automated handling features on the trail but I understand it can be set to different levels and can be totally bypassed in low range if you know how to do it.

I feel like this is the wrong board to ramble on about it but I'm very positive (Note, Iv'e seen them on the trail but never driven one myself yet) about everything they have done except for those huge plastic fenders. I hate the look of those things even if I understand the functionality.

I'm confused about the "FJ" bit though. Are you saying you actually have an Jeep FJ, the old 1060s FLEETVANs, with a three inch lift and you wheel it?????? I can't imagine but no doubt somebody has tried it!
OR
are you talking about, gasp, shudder, choke, a 'Toyota' FJ? Actually, the newer Toyota FJs are a very nice truck. Almost as capable as an equivalent Jeep and would be right up there as a personal alternative should Jeeps ever disappear from the face of the Earth.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.