Hi John,

In the case of the graph I posted above, I had my Denon set to 7-channel stereo (plus my sub).

Denon defines 7-channel stereo as follows:

The front left signal is output to the surround and surround back left channels. The front right signal is output to the surround and surround back right channels. The in-phase component of the left and right is output to the center. Use this mode to enjoy stereo sound.

My Denon also supports DD, PL, PLII, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24. Some of these formats also support something called movie or music mode. When I listen to 2-channel recordings, I can engage 7-channel stereo, PLII or Neo:6. The receiver also gives me the ability to control various parameters for these modes like image, panorama, dimension, center width. I can't really decide which format I like the best with 2-channel recordings.

Your question was timely because I don't understand the difference between 7-channel stereo, PLII and Neo:6. What is meant by "extracting the ambience" for example? What's the mathematical definition of ambience? And mathematically, what is different between 7-channel stereo, PLII and Neo:6?

What's really comical is that when I bought this receiver two years ago for 350 Canadian bucks, I was really in the market for stereo only. And I couldn't find a stereo only amp so I bought this one. After I unpacked it and realized what I bought, I spent $50 on a used, no name centre and Sony rears and all of a sudden, I had me a "home theater" . I already had a DVD player that had DTS and DD capability and I didn't even know it .

Now that I've spent a ton of cash on my home theater, I feel a need to find out as much about these formats as possible.