Head-fi certainly is a wild place. It is amazing how one can get into cryogenically enhanced output cables, vacuum tube pre-amp stages, and fusion-powered amplifiers just to run a pair of headphones. We all have our vices, I suppose! Crazy and amazing stuff. The plus side is that it seems that for just a few hundred bucks, one can have a really killer headphone setup for those times when a speaker system won't work (at the office, etc).

I have yet to really experience any sort of 'soundstage' with either the K701's or HD650's yet. Many would say that's because I lack the proper amplification, and that solution is in the mail right now. I sort of wonder if those that wax poetic about the 'soundstage of headphones' have ever really heard a good speaker setup. There are most certainly differences in headphones (that I've heard), but like you say, it's nothing like a true speaker setup. The K701's do seem to be closer to actually presenting a soundstage than the HD650's, but it's still not anything like speakers.

Quote:

I have read the same thing. There are claims, over there, about the small soundstage with the Grados and thus not being suited for classical music. I personally think the soundstage thing in headphones is a bunch of nonsense.
While there is what I would call headstage there certainly is nothing in any of the headphones I have tried that would qualify them as having a great soundstage. There is more snake oil and miracle cures being claimed on that site than there was in the old west.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office