Quote:

sorry for the confusion but you got it right. Since I got a good deal on the yamaha receivers I wanted to know if it was possible to chain the two receivers together instead of buying a seperate amp (which is expansive). I thought we could plug the pre-amp outputs (rear speakers )from the first amp into the multi-channel inputs of the second amp (for the rear speakers).

What you are suggesting is feasible Luc and a good use of both receivers now that you have them. I have done the same setup on several occasions using combinations of amps and receivers for different speakers to free up amp headroom. Your instincts are correct in wanting to keep more power on reserve for the speakers. The net result will be greater dynamic range with less distortion during loud passages and transients and less chance for clipping.

Chaining two receivers is not as good as having a second separate amplifier because you will be running the surround signal through a similar circuit twice. However, depending on how well Yamaha designs its analog circuit it likely will not sound much different.

A better alternative to consider is to run two digital outputs from your player, one to each receiver and hook the mains to one and the centre/surrounds to the other. This configuration also allows more flexibilty with bass management through setting different crossover points among the different speaker groups. It also means you don't have to turn on both receivers if you just want to listen to stereo mains. And though I am not a fan of auto-equalization, it may also help with setting equalization, YPAO, in the Yammies. You should still run the analog connections for DVD-A sources.

John