I'm considering Axioms to replace my aged AR speakers (classic AR9s in front - AR93s for sides - AR28B for center). I've never used a subwoofer because the big ARs go down below 30hz quite cleanly but with a new system I'll need one.

Just ordered the new Onkyo 805 receiver and just started shopping for new speakers (going with 7.1 configuration this time).

As a side note: I tried to replace the AR9s about ten years ago or so and could find nothing in the $1,500-$2,000 price range that sounded better. Still, today's speakers MUST be vastly improved over those 9s (bought in 1981) so I'm ready to move onward and upward.

Among other things Alan suggested the M60s, since my room is 16X21X12 (a large room), in addition to an EP500 and QS8s on the sides (I would want 4 of these for 7.1). He also said to consider the M22s in front, although they'll not play as loud as the M60s.

I watch HD Directv and listen to classical music, jazz and old rockers (Cream, Chicago, BS&T, Santana, etc.) predominently and I like my music at or slightly above live levels. I don't like a lot of the outrageous overstated bass I hear in the homes of some of my friends. They play their systems like those guys who cruise the streets with their car systems booming tons of distorted bass.

All this rambling (Hey! I'm 70 years old!) is to get some opinions from you folks regarding my options for an Axiom system. I'd appreciate all the help I could get. Not 100% sure it'll be Axiom but it's close.

Thanks, arkiedan