I experienced some trouble recently when I decided to re-run my audio auto-calibration on my 4 month-old home theatre system. I'm hoping that you can give me some potential root causes that I can pursue.

When I ran the auto-cal 4 months ago, the Denon set my volumes within a few dB of zero. With the exception of my sub, it also figured out the distances of my 7 speakers.

This time around, it detected phase errors and set all my speakers to +12dB. I ran the cal three times. The first two times it discovered a side surround phase error. The third time it discovered a rear surround phase error.

At no time did I change the wiring in the last 4 months. I decided however to check the wiring at my receiver and each of the speakers. I found no errors. I also ran in and out of phase pink noise and that checked out too.

I haven't changed anything in my room with the exception of adding a couple of pictures on the walls (yes, it's still the same bare room I had 4 months ago ).

So what is going on?

I'm also puzzled about something else. I sit about 12 feet away from the side and rear QS8s. The sound that reaches my ears is, I would imagine, mostly indirect. So how does my Denon figure that I am 12 feet away? Acoustically, I should be a lot further away than that if the majority of the sound is indirect, right? JohnK and others claim a remarkable improvement in soundstage when they switch from stereo to PLIIx but I can't get the same effect. Maybe that's because there isn't enough delay built in to the surrounds. Maybe I should try setting my surrounds to 24 feet.

What does everyone think of this? I've included pictures below for reference. And my room was recently blessed with holy water so I don't want to hear any demon tales .