I still say, run your cables through, seal any cracks or inputs to the stands with epoxy, silicone, marine goop, whatever, then fill them with sand or...fill appropriate bags with sand and drop them in there. Dirt is free!! Unless I suppose you live in a 'concrete jungle' so to speak. Even in a city, there should be lots of heavy, waste material laying around. Like shell casings!!

Maybe I should start a home business selling sand.
INTRODUCING............ 100% SELF ADJUSTING, ACOUSTICALLY NEUTRAL, VERTICLE INCLINATION AND STABILITY ENHANCEMENT MATERIAL FOR SPEAKER STANDS!!!! THIS NEW SPACE AGE MATERIAL IS 100% NATURAL AND RECYCLABLE!

OK, I'm digressing even worse now but I actually have a beautifully hand crafted chess set where the board and pieces are made entirely of light and black beach sand. All the pieces are beach and fishing themed. It's my other prize possession.

But, I still think there must be something around that could be recycled for weights without buying special made shot. Of course, I never looked into pricing so maybe it is a reasonable solution.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.