Rick, I use Kaspersky AntiVirus 6 on both XP and Vista computers. I used Norton AntiVirus for many years, but it became to bloated and intrusive, using up too many computer resources.

Kaspersky is the top rated security application on CNET with a score of 8.0 ("Excellent").

I really like it a LOT. It is small, unobtrusive, doesn't use too many computer resources, updates every hour by itself, and I've not had one problem with it. No viruses either.

On the other hand, the most recent consumer Reports rates Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware higher than the Kaspersky (with a score of Trend Micro=81 to Kaspersky=65 - both in the VG rating), while CNET has it lower than the Kaspersky at a rating of 7.0 ("Very Good")

Others rate the Kaspersky higher than the Trend Micro AntiVirus, but not the top app due to a modest customer service rating. Since I've never had a problem with the Kaspersky I can't comment on their customer service.

http://antivirus-software.6starreviews.c...CFReQGgodBzg9mQ

OK, I'm confused.

Regarding a firewall, ZoneAlarm has a free version of it's highly regarded firewall which should do all you need. One word of warning. I used ZoneAlarm for years and loved it, but I installed the latest version on my Vista running computer, and it really slowed everything down. Since merely uninstalling a program sometimes doesn't get rid of everything the program installs, I opted to use the "System Restore" function to restore my computer to a configuration which existed before I installed the ZoneAlarm.

If you're running XP, you may not have this problem. But, before installing, be sure to create a restore point just in case you need to use it. I'm now using the firewall that came with Vista. On my old XP computer I'm still using, and enjoying ZoneAlarm.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton