Oh, and with regard to the quality of DACs/ACDs, I currently have my Pioneer DVL-919 DVD/LD/CD player hooked up via both digital and analog connections to the Elite 45TX receiver, so that I can instantaneously A/B switch between the digital and analog routs. And I CANNOT hear a difference. To me, this is a fairly significant finding, because when the analog connection is chosen, the signal undergoes the conversion three times -- the DAC on the player, the ADC on the receiver (for the digital bass-management and other processing), and then the final DAC on the receiver. Again, I didn’t do this as a blind test -- I knew that all these conversions were carried out via the analog rout, and accordingly looked for the slightest sign of degradation of sound quality or imaging/staging. My Hales speakers are no slouch, either; they are very revealing and the resolution is no less than, say, that of the Axioms. I have to conclude that, at least to my ears, the DACs/ADCs on my “mass-market” player and receiver are as good as I ever need. This completely discourages me to seek for the possible upgrade of the player.

Last edited by sushi; 08/14/03 10:09 PM.