Tell me about it! That HK went into current protection so fast on bass heavy music. My Marantz 1060 didn't, too bad the potentiometer for the volume is totally stuck at this point and Denon can't send me a new one..

I now use the computer's M-Audio DAC and an Adcom amp. These speakers are nothing easy. Bass heavy stuff or loud metal makes it ridiculously hot and last year while sitting down on, idling, after some Massive Attack, it popped and went on fire. Cost $350 for repair, all the solder melted and spilled everywhere inside which caused even more fire at the time. :/

All worth it for the sound of these. Real is the only way I can say it, put these next to anything else, and these aren't good, or bad. They're a benchmark. It's like listening to a recording vs listening to the real thing.

I'll look into the Avantgards and see if there's anyplace in Manhattan I can find to demo them. I've been considering the Thiel CS3.7 as well but this is the same kind of speaker, since I've read initial impressions say they kill the 7.2. Or, I was thinking of getting some M60s to use as surrounds with an EP500.. but I think electrostats are where I'd like to go.