Quote:

ok i am going to BBQ today. To start off, going to BBQ New York steaks and BBQ'ed shrimp.

I am going to marinate my steaks and wondering how long should I cook them on each side to achieve a medium well? I heard you only flip the steak once on medium/low. Is this true? And for how long?

For the shrimp, thinking of making garlic buttered shrimp. Should I cook a set for about 2-3 minutes and during that time flipping them over?

I would only use a dry rub on a New York cut steak personally. As long as your steak is at least 3/4" preferably an 1" it will be tender enough if cooked properly.
It's very tough I find to give a time to flip due to differences in grills and methods. The best thing you can do though is make sure your grill is hot enough and keep the lid closed until you flip.
I personally like to grill my steaks on high heat to quickly cook and seer the outside and leaving the inside juicy and tender. Of course I like me steaks medium rare. The hand method to check tenderness is tried and true, when I was working at a restaurant years ago that's how we were shown as well. Takes sometime to get comfortable/confident with it and remember your meals will continue to cook for awhile after you take them off the grill.

Finally as for shrimp on the barbie, I find keeping the shell on works best so it's nice and succulent. It's too easy to over cook or dry out the shrimp as they cook fast. I also have had good experience cooking seasoned then frozen shrimp (blasphemy)

If your looking for an easy excellent meat to bbq with, let me suggest Pork Tenderloin. This is one of my wifes and mine absolute favorites. It takes to any marinade or rub and is so tender that it's almost impossible to screw up. The only thing you need to be aware of is the meat is tappered so the ends are thinner and can burn. To avoid this wrap the ends in aluminum foil and remove towards the end to brown.
I also like to actually cook them completely wrapped in foil to steam/cook and then take them out to crisp the outside. Same for sausages...

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss