I have a wired Lan throughout the house. I’ve been using a Linksys four port router for the past few years, but needed to heat up more jacks, so I bought this eight port switch the other day and can’t figure out how to configure it. The instructions it came with are pathetic and I don’t know where I put my router instructions. I’m sure some of you know just exactly what I need to do….I hope.

I have a makeshift hub for all my communication wiring in my office (cable, phone and Lan). For the Lan, I have 12 port patch panel that I use short patch cables to connect the jacks to the router. I am limited to space, so I was figuring that I could get away with the four port router and eight port switch and activate eleven of the house jacks. I thought I could use the four router ports and seven of the switch ports. I’m not so sure I can do this now…. Dangit.

I have my DSL router connected to the Linksys router and the Linksys router patched to the 12 port patch panel. That works fine. When I add the switch to the chain, I loose internet connection. I’ve tried numerous different port to port configurations and couldn’t get the switch to work. I even tried making a crossed-over patch cable and tried the connections again...still no luck.

Can one of you IT network guys just tell me how I’m supposed to rout my cables and if what I thought would work, will actually work?