Quote:

Hi Murph,

The auto-setup modes of most AV receivers tend to be notoriously inaccurate and error-prone for subwoofers, and, as you found, sometimes indicate the sub is 28 feet away when it's close by. There are so many variables with standing waves and the individual dimensions of each room, that it's really too much to expect the auto setup modes to do anything well with subwoofer setup.

So it's best to ignore that part of the auto setup. As far as the auto-EQ functions, they may be effective for crummy non-linear speakers but usually make things worse if you are using neutral linear speakers like Axioms.

Regards,

I have found that the auto setup feature of my Pioneer VSX-817 (MCACC) works great! In fact, some people feel that MCACC works better than Audysey in the Denon's.

Yes, it says the sub is about 10' farther away than it really is BUT THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT! By setting the sub farther away it causes the LFE chanel to output a few miliseconds earlier which makes the sound nice and tight.

I too thought that the sub setting was way off until I did some research on the subject and a few experiments to determine that it did sound better when set about 10' farther away then it actually is. YMMV

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"