I hope everyone is okay down in San Diego. I just got home and have been catching what I can on TV. By far they are getting the worst of the fires.

It was a surreal drive to work this morning. Wish I had my camera to take pics. Everywhere I looked at the horizon there was a haze of ash and smoke. Right above us, though, was clear blue skies due to the last gusts of the Santa Anas. I'm about two hours north of San Diego, but there have been enough blazes scattered throughout the southland to affect almost everyone. My eyes have been burning since yesterday afternoon, and there is no escaping the smell of smoke. Now that the winds have stopped smoke and ash are starting to settle. Flecks of ash are everywhere. I imagine the ash will get worse. I've seen it before act like snow years ago when my local mountains burned.

I watch the news in relative safety but am stunned by the images. I'm in between San Diego and Malibu, but far enough away to not be in any immediate danger. One look outside, though, and there is no escaping the aftermath of the devastation.

Tom, and everyone else, thanks for thinking of us Californians. I, too, would like to send my support for all those affected in San Diego and anywhere else who have been touched by the fire.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose