Thanks for the responses.
I have a Denon carousel DVD player (can't remember the model # and there's a flight of stairs between me and it) that has the Farrouja chip or processor or whatever. The TV is a 60" Phillips 4:3 HDTV. Monster cable component vid cable (I got it years ago, before I came across this here forum) connecting to the HD input on the TV.

No doubt the 480p picture is way better than the 480i. Currently playing downstairs is the Dixie Chicks concert vid, which looks and sounds spectacular. I am guessing there is no deficit in my equipment; I think it is the 480p format. Watch for slow camera pans. Not every movie is going to have diagonal moving lines, so when you rent Solaris please look for the spokes on the ship looking jagged. Hopefully someone can confirm the same experience, but I'm not overly concerned as the picture in every other respect is stunning.

Regarding 1080i and DVD storage capabilities: I was under the impression that DVDs could store tremendous amounts of data. It seems like a few extra pixels should be no problem.