Hi Cooper

Another M22 fan !!!

I have a Panasonic DVD-RP82 and I dont feel that the DAC's are that bad. I am sure you know more about audio than I do, but let me take a shot at this....

To really test the DAC's of the DVD-RP82, you have to use either the 2-channel analog output or the 5.1 channel output (which will be hooked to the 5.1 analog inputs on your receiver - if it has these). ALSO you have to enable either the 2-channel mode or the multi-channel mode in the menu of the DVD Player (depending on your setup). Your HK3470 receiver does not have 5.1 channel analog or digital inputs. Basically you can ONLY use this receiver for stereo 2-channel sources.

From your profile, I see that you dont have any surrounds / center speaker listed but maybe you already have these. I may be wrong here, but please check if you have multi-channel enabled in your setup menu. There is a day and night difference between the 2 modes.

The multi-channel mode should be enabled only if you have all the speakers setup and if there is a 5.1 connection (analog or digital) to the receiver otherwise the decoded signal will be sent to the respective centre / surrounds which are missing.

The only way I can play my DVD-Audio discs is using the analog out route on the DVD-RP82 i.e. using the DAC's of the player. It sounds absolutely amazing.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V2095 with 20-bit 48k DAC's. The DVD-RP82 has 24-bit 192k DAC's in 2-channel mode.

You write :
My stereo receiver has no DACs, and even surround sound receivers have no digital connection for DVD-audio or SACD, except in super high end, proprietary units. So you have to fall back on DVD DACs again.

So my question is: how much would I have to spend on a receiver or DVD player to match the DAC quality from my $300 Yamaha CD changer? I'll be it's something absurd, maybe $1000 to $1500 each.

Your stereo receiver has no DAC's because it has no digital inputs. You need to upgrade to a receiver that has either optical or coaxial digital inputs. Your DVD / CD players dont need to be upgraded.

Denon AVR1803 will set you back USD 300 or so and it will give you decent 5.1 channel decoding with digital inputs.

But if you need 5.1 analog inputs for SACD / DVD-A, you have to look for a receiver that has 6 or 7 or 8 channel inputs. e.g. Harman Kardon AVR525

Of course the sky is the limit. You have receivers ranging from USD 500 to USD 5000 that match this criteria. Good luck and hope this answers your question.

Cheers