(I think) I'm look for a new stereo receiver for the M60s in my living room.

The receivers I'm considering are the Yamaha RX-497, Denon DRA-397, H-K 3485, and the Sherwood Newcastle RX-770. Is there a significant difference in sound characteristics between these brands?

We really don't listen to a lot of FM, so the tuner section isn't a huge consideration, other than the fact that I do use the AM to listen to sports and talk shows from time to time. The main function is cd playback on an Onkyo DX-C360 (which is subject for possible future upgrade).

I welcome other suggestions in the same price range. Perhaps, an intergrated amp of some type? I haven't even researched those, yet.

Some background info: Right now I have a Denon DRA-395 driving the M60's, but I am considering giving it to my daughter along with a new pair of M3s for Christmas. That way (nah, ah, ah!), we'll need a new receiver for the living room.

I guess I'm trying to decide if I'm just getting giddy with upgradeitis and should keep the 395 where it is and get my daughter an Onkyo TX-8222 (which I gave my other daughter for Christmas last year) or, maybe even move up to an Onkyo TX-8522 or a Yamaha RX-297 for my daughter's new M3s. For that matter, I see the H-K 3485 is $250 at JR.

Thanks for helping. And, Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating.

If I were truly plastered, could I do this?