My dad is starting the plans for a theater room. He is planning on building the room from in basement so he has some flexibilty as far as room size. The room that he came up with is 15'6" by 14'6" with a 3' extended by cutout centered on the 15'6" wall. The extended by cutout is 9' wide and 4'8" back. #1 My question is how bad will this room be for acoustics? He wants to have a 5.1 setup and a projection tv on the wall opposite the extended bay cutout. Initially, ignoring the bay cutout the room dimensions are nearly square. #2 How far off of square must a room be to avoid acoustical problems? (1'?, 2'?, 3'? or what) #3 Is this room considered a nearly square room with the bay cutout causing maybe even more acoustical problems, or can this be though of as almost a rectangular room?

Any thoughts or suggestions about this as a possibility for a theater room would be greatly appreciated. I remember someone who had a room almost like this and posted a question a couple months ago. It would be great if someone has a room like this and can comment on the acoustics of this room vs a regular rectangular room.

- Nick