I always been pretty happy with Shoutcast streams. Stick to the 128kbps and greater channels and the sound quality is pretty good. The higher, the better, of course.

I also like Shoutcast because its web page and interface is very simple. It renders well & streams play perfectly on non-PC devices such as my WindowsMobile, Palm, and Nokia N series devices.

As far as downloading music goes, there are several options. If you have an iPod, you should gravitate towards using iTunes. I am an iPod person, and so I am ok with iTunes even though I have been dissapointed in the sound quality with a couple of albums. Most are ok though. Definitely listen to the previews before you click the buy button. 'Regular' iTunes tracks are 128kbs AAC with DRM. However, some albums/tracks are now available as iTunes+, which are 256kbs AAC files with no DRM. I have been very pleased with the sound quality of these.

I also like Amazon's MP3 downloads. All 256kbs, DRM free. I've downloaded 3 or 4 albums so far. The sound quality is also excellent, and because they're simply MP3 files you have many options as to how to play them. iPod, Zen, iRiver, burn to CD, Squeezebox, etc, etc.

Linn Records also has music available for download. Their download selection is limited to only their own music, not other record companies. What they do have can be purchased and downloaded in several different formats including pure lossless WMA files, all with no DRM. I've purchased a few albums from them, and they sound absolutely amazing. Fantastic SQ. Highly recommended, if your musical tastes are covered by their meager selection.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office