Dan, you're much to young to identify with all that 1940s stuff, but for those of us who grew up in the era, that movie is a real trip down memory lane.

I can clearly remember my father's voice floating angrily up from the basement, laced with beautifully graphic curse words, as he tried to deal with a coal burning furnace. \:D

Though I had a Red Ryder BB Gun, I never shot my eye out.

I did, however, get my tongue stuck on the metal railing of a bridge that crossed a creek near my house \:\( .

Many scenes in the movie were shot here in Cleveland. Cleveland's Public Square was featured in the movie's opening scenes of a beautifully decorated downtown area, and in the parade scene. The Santa scenes were shot in Higbee's department store, now, regrettably, out of business, as is Halle's department store and Hough's bakery (They've taken all the "H"s out of my life \:\( ) .

And, believe it or not, Ralphie's house, located in the Tremont area on the near West side of Cleveland, was purchased off EBAY by a fan, restored to it's movie condition, and turned into the "A Christmas Story" House Museum (complete with leg lamp), open to the public year round.

When I first heard about that, I thought it would be a bust. But, apparently, I underestimated the popularity of "A Christmas Story" because, much to my surprise, it is still going strong

Last edited by Ajax; 12/25/07 01:30 PM.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton