Originally Posted By: danmagicman7

Actually, for the QS8's/QS4's I was planning on actually setting them up on soup cans on my desk and doing A/B testing straight from the receiver by hooking them up as "mains".

I guess I could use original source material...but it's digital..and FLAC is really an exact copy of it...so doubtful that will notice *much* of a difference. Definitely better than plain MP3's anyways.

Edit: For level matching...since I have the ability to turn on my "A" Mains or "B" Mains either simultaneously or actually playing together through my Yamaha...I was going see if there was a pink noise SPL difference between the M22's and M60's at different levels. If so, do the switching to get the correct dB difference on the receiver figured out. Does that seem good?

I like the idea of using the QS's as mains for a comparison, certainly makes it easier to ensure full osund output through them. Maybe try them as surrounds a swell to see which you prefer as a surround.

FLAC is not an exact copy, only an copy of the disc in waveform would be an exact copy, but FLAC does appear to be a nearly identical copy.

And yes there is a difference in SPL output from M22s to M60s by about 2db so you will need to make that adjustment. The extra bass from the M60s makes the difference. Mojo and I did a comparison back in late October(?) between the M80s, M60s and M22s and we discovered the SPL differences, or was it the M80s by 2db over the rest? Any way you will need to make a slight adjustment of some sort.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70