To go with my new display (that I am still waiting on) I purchased a PS3. I was in a rush to get this since to get the five free blue ray movie deal your receipt has to state that you purchased it by Jan 31. Also, you can save $100 by putting it on a Sony credit card. So this weekend I submitted the application for the credit card which is supposed to arrive within two weeks. When the card arrives I will return the PS3 and repurchase it on the Sony card and save $100. It seems that they are now discontinuing the 80Gb version of the PS3. They are no longer going to have backwards compatibility. I had a hard time finding one of these at the local stores but I did finally. Anyone else interested in all of these deals and backwards compatibility should get one before Thursday.

I hooked up and started messing around with the PS3 last night and had a few questions.

1. Is it a good idea to purchase the extended warranty with the PS3, or is it reliable enough to now worry about?

2. My Pioneer will accept 24fps (at 72Hz using a 3:3 pulldown) and the PS3 will output a 24fps 1080p signal. What about standard def dvd's -- are these 24 fps and will these also be outputted as such?

3. I know that if you go online with your computer without a firewall and a good anti-virus software then you can pick up a virus within a few minutes. Is is a good idea to go online and upgrade the firmware and do other things with the PS3, or should I just download them to a disc?

- Nick