Ah, 11n... I love and hate it. I'm pretty involved in it so feel free to ping me. (HA! Dumb joke...)

In order for you to take full advantage of 11n (802.11n), you really want to make sure that both ends are 11n (PC and router). Also, if you run in a mixed environment where you have some B and/or G clients, your overall throughput drops to the lowest common denominator. So even if you have an 11n router, if ANY client is 802.11b, your whole wireless network drops to that rate. You can also do what I do. I have an older router run at 802.11g rates, any old clients connect to that. I then run an Apple Extreme at 5 GHz 11n only, so any FAST clients connect to that and don't get bogged down by the older stuff. 5 GHz is also good because your network doesn't get affected by microwaves. The bad thing is that 5 GHz has shorter range than 2.5GHz.

Another way to mix is to also use some powerline Ethernet adapters so you can use your AC wiring to extend your network. For the most part, wired willl ALWAYS be faster than wireless.

But as jake mentioned, you can also use the multiple antennas of 11n routers to take advantage with 11b/g as well. Though you can't take advantage of the > 100Mbps rates.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 02/04/08 06:29 AM.