Originally Posted By: ZG
Can you give them a listen? I grabbed some Michaura speakers recently - Axiom made them for an American company that went bust. They were well worth the little I paid for them. I think Axiom just makes great products in general. Ask to hear them. $100 sounds like a pretty good deal, in my opinion, even for an early Axiom floorstanding model.

I have a bunch of Axiom speakers, M2s, M3s, M50s. I also have a bunch of the Michaura speakers, the M22-like M55s, M50-like M66s and the M60-like M665s. I love my Axioms, especially the M3s, but I've pretty much swapped out the Axioms for their Michaura counterparts. I've 'operated' on some of the M55s - upgraded the caps in the M55s to Jensen paper/oils, the resistors with Caddocks, love 'em!

First I swapped out my beloved M3Tis in my 5 wpc Tube SET triode system with a pair of massaged M55s, back and forth, back and forth - came to rest with the M55s. I think a pair of M55s atop a pair of M3s might be a perfect speaker combo. Have to try that some day. I then swapped the M55s for the M66s, which use 2x6.5" Axiom aluminum drivers and the 3/4" titanium tweeter from the Merak, old M-zero, M2ti lines. I didn't have to switch back and forth between the M66s and the M50s, fell in love with the M66s. The M66s and the SET amp are an incredible match. Talk about a wall of glorious music ... this makes it.

The M60-like M665s are in my office HT system, a pair of supertweets on top of them, a Merak Frankenspeaker center (Axiom made Merak cabinet upgraded with 2x6.5" axiom aluminum drivers, Reference 3a de capo tweeter with a modified reference 3a cross-over for the tweeter), a Dahlquist PDQ1500 15" sub, a pair of Mission DS77 surround speakers. Most of the time I have the Motorola DCH3416 HDMI hidef dvr cable box feeding audio by optical cable to a Sony TAE9000ES processor (love that thing!) driven by an Anthem PVA5 5 channel amp.

Sound quality? Glorious!

Although I have a bunch more M55s in storage, I'll set up another 2 channel tube stereo system with my M3Tis, the mid bass of the M3s is superior to the M55s, but the M55s' upper mids and highs are superior, at least to my ears.

The finish on the Michauras is simply beautiful - rosewood, the cabinets are hex shaped (I think that's part of their magic) and they are SOLID.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a few words on some of my favorite speakers.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 02/17/08 06:35 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.