I have an outlaw 1050 reciever but I imagine the priniple is the same. I just switched from separate dvd and cd sources so I was set up for both. Now I'm using sony dvd/cd changer. The labeling of dvd or cd doesn't mean anything. It is a name attached to a mode in the receiver that lets you choose an input for that mode. If you are using the same source for both dvd and cd modes it will play your cd or dvd whether your reciever says either one. However on the dvd mode I have the reciever set for 5.1 speaker output. In the cd mode I have the receiver set for stereo output. This way i can go from 5 channel for movies and two channel for music at the push of a button. Because I went from two sources dvd and cd I had the dvd hooked up to the receiver via the coax input and the cd via an optical input. When I went down to one source I plugged both the coax and optical inputs into the newdvd/cd player. This is entirely redundant, but I can switch between the inputs on the receiver. I thought it would be interesting to see if I could hear any difference between optical and coax. In minimal listening comparisons I can't. I also have the left and right channnels from the dvd/cd hooked up to the analog inputs on the receiver. This allows stereo listening using the DACs in the sony dvd/cd player rrather than the DACs in the receiver. Both dacs are quite good I believe and I can't hear a difference that way either. I hope this clarifies your setup process.

Mark